Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mein erst Fahrrad umfall

Ja, my first bike accident...and hopefully my last. It isn't even a cool story...it's an embarrassing story. It was daylight, well, dusk to be exact...so maybe that would give me just a little bit of an excuse to not see the step...that's right ONE step. A tiny one at that. That's what I get for bragging about riding down four steps. I just wasn't prepared for this one and didn't see it coming at all and the next thing I knew I could feel myself falling and in that horrible moment of "oh scheiße" when I knew I was going down. I am still trying to figure out how I landed because my bruises are on one side of my butt and then all along my inner thighs like I was hanging onto my bike for dear life as I went down. I have some minor scrapes on my palms, elbow and legs but for the most part no blood and for that I am thankful. I just got the wind knocked out of me and I feel like I have some serious whip lash...this is when I wish I knew people well enough over here to be able to ask for a massage. Darn. Too bad I don't have a photo to accompany this post. The man who helped me up was saying to me in German that the whole thing had looked pretty interesting, which made me laugh, but then as soon as I was alone, I cried. You know the kind of cry I am talking about...the 'I just got the wind knocked out of me and I am in a foreign country and no one is here to see me cry' kind of cry. Luckily I was not too far from Daniel and Tanja's cafe so I hobbled over there and ate some pumpkin curry. It was a painful ride home afterwards. And this morning I am totally sore. Let's just say I should not have gotten a boy bike. 

In other news...my living situation is toTAL up in the air. I love the way they say total here it is like "toe-and then a mixture of 'tal like tallie and tall as in he is so much taller than you' but the emphasis is on the second syllABle". ToTAL. Repeat it with me now. Uh-huh, good job. Nice 'ah' vowel.

It is actually too much of a long story to go into...but my options for now are as follows...I could possibly stay where I am because this girl that was going to come might not, or I could move in with two other German girls, Ulrike (not the one that I have earlier on this blog) and Sonja, to an apartment on Winsstraße. Here are the pros and cons. Pros: Ulrike's place is cuter and closer to my friends and church by about 7 minutes on my bike, and it is 50 euros cheaper. It also has cobblestone streets--which, I have discovered as of last night, are not fun to fall on but are very pretty. On the down side, I could only stay at Ulrike's for four months, so until the beginning of February, and my room would be about half the size. Also, Ulrike said that she would get furniture because when I leave she will use it, but I don't know what it would be like...the bigger question is...will the closet be big enough for all my clothes. Sad but important condition. The pros about staying where I am would be that I could probably be here as long as I wanted and I wouldn't have to move at all and could keep using the furniture they have here, etc. But it is farther from the friends I have made and also from the u-bahn and I can imagine that in winter it will be really cold and I will not be inclined to ride my bike. However, maybe I will surprise us all and love riding my bike in the snow. 
However, both of those decisions are completely up in the air and there is the possibility that neither of them could work out if Simone decides to come and if Ulrike doesn't get the okay from her landlord. There is also this guy from church that is leaving for 5 months on an internship from Paris and he is letting his place for 60 more than I am paying now. But he doesn't have a closet and I wasn't totally crazy about his place. I don't know. Anyway, I am not going to worry about it...I will just let God take care of it. Believe it or not there was actually way more ups and downs and things involved in this story that I didn't share...Would appreciate your prayers about this...love you all. 

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you got in a bike wreck. I am glad that you are whole--for the most part. Take Tylenol and put ice on your bruises. Also, watch out for steps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find in most things in my life that it's the big steps that I can handle gracefully and the little steps that throw me down every time! So sorry about your fall. Take care! Eat an extra chocolate croissant, or whatever they have there in Germany. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, considering the fact that you have a boy's bike, maybe you should look in to getting a jock strap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. will def be praying for the new living situation decision. Oof. Press on. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete